Monday, December 31, 2012

Ready Set? 2013

 
     The year end review is always an interesting process. I looked at my blog post from last year and it was good, actually really good. As much as I am tempted to just repost it I had a little bit of a different angle this year. Sure everyone is asking what are your new years resolutions and I think that's where the trouble starts. Resolutions shouldn't be limited to one day or month a year. New years is actually one of the oldest holidays on record beginning with the Babylonians in March but changed to January by the Romans. January actually gets its name from Janus, the two-faced god who looks both backwards into the old year and forwards into the new. So we choose New Years as an opportunity to reflect on the past year and look forward to the year ahead. I take every January to asses where I am both personally and professionally. Did I move forward? Did I move backward? Did my goals shift or change along the way? Did I grow? As we set aside time to reflect on the past year look long and hard at your achievements and by all means celebrate them. It is so rewarding to check a goal off our list. Many times I find I have a few too many leftover resolutions at the end of my year.
      I used to beat myself up about that. But the thing that I have learned over the years is that hidden list. The things that weren't necessarily on the list that I achieved anyway. Those are the side benefits, the things that provide forward movement in spite of what may look like a non productive year. Was there anything Not on your list that you accomplished? Did you grow because of it? Forward progress is still forward progress in my book. Many suggest instead of setting goals try to become the person that already has achieved the goal. To act as if. What does a successful salon professional dress like? Act like? How do they spend their off time? Who do they have in their inner circle? What shows and classes do they attend? or teach? What are they reading, who are they learning from? Successful people leave a trail to follow, if you want to tag along. There is a plan, an actual structured way to achieve anything you may want. Instead of just writing down your goals write them down on purpose.  Choose all area of your life to achieve balance. Take the areas of BUSINESS FINANCIAL FAMILY LIFESTYLE MENTAL PHYSICAL SPIRITUAL and RELATIONSHIP. Write your three top goals in each category. Like for business you may want to Learn new skills, find a mentor, be a mentor, develop a mastermind group, take a class. Financial goals you may want to Start a savings plan, start investing, make a budget, pay off and cut up credit cards. Family goals you may want to begin “family days” , weekly suppers, visit family twice yearly, you get the picture. Make a top 10 list from each of these categories.

     Now here is the shift you have to make. You cannot WANT to do something or HAVE something, you have to BECOME what is necessary to attract what you desire. You can only have , be or do what is in equality with what you feel you are worthy of, deserve or have character in. Take your first goal and start your list. Ask yourself these questions Who do I have to become to achieve this? What actions would this type of person take? Then write down Step 1 Step 2 and Step 3 What other measures can I take to stay on course? How do I make sure these are SMART goals? SMART meaning Specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time sensitive. Next Take ACTION. What can you do in the next 24-48 hours towards these goals. What can you do in the next 30 days? This is a great start to get you planning on purpose. With a specific action plan.  My wish for all of our amazing listeners is for 2013 to be the best year to come and with proper planning it will be! I'm finishing up details of sharing my goal setting plan so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment